Shedd-Porter Memorial Library, located in Alstead, New Hampshire, was designed in the Beaux-Arts style by Boston architects William H. McLean and Albert H. Wright. It was built in 1910 as a gift from John Graves Shedd and Mary Roenna Porter in memory of their parents.
John G. Shedd grew up on a farm in Langdon, New Hampshire before leaving for work in Chicago, Illinois in 1871. He began work for Marshall Field and Company, starting as a stock clerk. He rose to become the second President and chairman of the board of Marshall Field & Company upon Field’s death in 1906. A major philanthropist in Chicago, he also provided the funds for the Shedd Aquarium.
John G. Shedd
In addition to the funds to build the library, John G. Shedd contributed 2,000 books. The library now has over 18,000 holdings.
The Shedd-Porter Memorial Library is listed in the National Register of Historic
Places as well as in the New Hampshire Register of Historic Places.
Links to Centennial Talk
Bruce Bellows Speech